Consider Contract / Temporary Employment
Contract / temporary employment has always been an important part of the engineering industry. Normally, companies hire contract engineers, designer/drafters and technicians on as-needed project basis. However, companies are also hiring contractors when they have long-term project needs but don’t have the budget to hire permanent employees.
Advantages of contract / temporary jobs:
- Many companies are not currently hiring direct / permanent employees, but they are hiring contractors and many of these eventually go permanent as company budgets permit.
- The average contract position with us is about 11 months; however, many contract jobs go on for several years or convert into permanent positions.
- Contract positions pay, on the average, 20 to 30% higher than comparable direct positions.
- The decision making process is very quick – not the 2 to 4 week process that can be the case with direct / permanent jobs.
- There is no actual “contract” to sign. It is “employment at will” as with any ordinary job.
- You would be paid on regular W-2 along with many of the benefits of a traditional direct position, such as
Vacation and holiday pay
Company contribution on health insurance
- Your benefits would also include all the “employer of record” legal requirements, such as unemployment insurance, short term disability insurance and workers compensation insurance.